Register

Register
forgot password?
remember me



introduction & gossip

Add a Reply
Topic Message
Tourant.chef
Tourant.chef

Former Chef dies after eating Hot Chillies

message posted 01-Oct-08 10:04:22



WOW.........thats HOT !

Andrew Lee suffered a heart attack the morning after betting a friend he could eat the hottest dish.

The 33-year-old - who had just passed a medical - complained of itching all over his body as he tried to sleep after the meal.

Girlfriend Samantha Bailey woke in the morning and discovered him dead in bed beside her. The mother of four called paramedics but they could not revive him.

Toxicology tests are now being carried out to see if the Mr Lee, a forklift truck driver from Edlington, Doncaster, suffered a fatal reaction to the dish or whether anything else contributed to his death.

Cooking was one of Mr Lee's main interests and he made the dish with red chillis grown specially for the contest by dad John on his allotment, the Doncaster hearing was told.

Mr Lee's sister, Claire Chadbourne, 29, said that he took a jar of the sauce to the home of his girlfriend, Samantha Bailey, and challenged her brother Michael, 29, to see who could eat it.

"Andrew just ate the chillies with a plate of Dolmio sauce," she said. "It was not a proper meal because he had already eaten lamb chops and potato mash after work.


After making the sauce, he stuck his finger in to test it, and went to wash it, saying, 'Wow, that's hot'.

Pamela Lee

"He apparently got into bed at 2.30am and started scratching all over. His girlfriend scratched his back until he fell asleep. She woke up and he had gone. It is incredible. Who would have thought he could have died from eating chilli sauce?

"We don't know of anything else that could have caused his death. The post mortem showed no heart problems.

"He loved cooking for his friends. He always said he wanted to be a chef but didn't want to start at the bottom."

Andrew's mother Pamela said: "He was a strapping lad. We can only put it down to the sauce.

Sue Baic, spokesman for British Diatetic Association, warned that chillis should only ever be eaten in moderation, and should be included in a recipe rather than eaten raw.

"Anything that is an unpleasant experience for the body is likely to be a risk," she said.

Chillis are believed to reduce cholesterol, cut the risk of cancer and boost the immune system.

An inquest was opened and adjourned in Doncaster last week
Page: 


Follow us on Twitter  Follow us on Twitter Find Us on Facebook
© ChefsWorld.net ChefsWorld   |  Terms of Use |  Site map  |  Web Design by OS3